Brian Scott | 21 December 2022
This is a breakdown, analysis and review of the concepts of the amazing book Becoming Like God by Michael Berg
Berg argues that we inhabit a prison—a strange sort of prison, to be sure, because most inmates don’t even realize we’re behind bars. We’re even conditioned to scoff at the notion that there might actually be another world, a world of joy and Light, shining right beyond the prison walls. Then, one day, someone hands us an escape plan that includes a layout of the prison and a step-by-step plan of escape. A flawless plan. What will we do? What this episode reveals is a blueprint to freedom. Of course, we don’t literally live inside prison walls, and we’re not literally confined to dingy concrete cells, but we are trapped by pain, suffering, and death. This is an escape plan from the greatest maximum security prison ever.
1. The world is the war of two opposite forces: light and darkness
2. The source of light, better known as God, is the wellspring of all joy, fulfillment and life. The force of darkness better know as Ego nature, is the source of all pain suffering and death.
3. We create our lives by whichever force we connect to.
4. We connect to the two forces through the law of similarity of form: we connect to and become what we become like.
5. We become like God by stystematically destroying the ego, because the desire to receive for the self alone is the opposite of God. He does not receive from anyone.
6. We become like God by transforming into beings of shaing because God is a force of infinite sharing.
The God Formula through a dual process of eradicating the ego and performing transformative service and sharing we awaken our true nature and become like God, creating a life of total joy and fulfillment.